This Certificate provides comprehensive knowledge on solar cell characterization, thin-film and concentrator photovoltaics, advanced processing, and new solar cell concepts.
- E-learning via online video lectures accompanied by readings, exercises and online meetings with tutors and lecturers. Important questions regarding content or organization are asked and answered in the course forum.
- Project work and three written online exams with online supervision.
- A seminar that includes the preparation of a handout and final oral presentation
After successful completion of CAS students should be able to:
- Understand the different material and device analysis techniques used in solar cell characterization.
- Interpret measurement results and explain the underlying processes and properties of solar cells and materials.
- Explain dye and organic solar cells.
- Describe hybrid, quantum dot, and perovskite solar cells.
- Explain the physical principle behind perovskite solar cells.
- Explain the working principle of tunnel diodes and their characterization.
- Describe concentrator solar cells and their general characteristics.
- Explain CPV module manufacturing and the advantages of series and parallel connection.
- Describe the specific characterization methods for multijunction concentrator cells and modules.
- Define essential properties for the contacts used in thin-film solar technology and explain the monolithic integration of cells into the module.
- Assess three leading thin-film technologies, a-Si, CIGS, and CdTe.