This five-week CAS Program is designed for professionals that wish to develop strategies to improve health conditions and health of populations living in urban areas. The focus is on environmental factors of “city life” – particularly on vulnerable population groups. Interacting with teaching staff and scientists of the University of Freiburg, as well as with practitioners and experts from external organizations (e.g. city council Freiburg, waste disposal plant, water plant, renewable energy providers, as well as WHO and UNEP), participants will gain expertise from different disciplines such as public health, environmental medicine, sport sciences, geography, and anthropology.
Termine / Veranstaltungsort / Kosten
|12.02.2024 - 15.03.2024|
Veranstalter und Veranstaltungsort
Faculty of Medicine
Center of Medicine and Society
University of Freiburg
University of Freiburg
MSc Global Urban Health
Bismarckallee 22, Third Floor
Zielgruppe und Voraussetzungen
Health professionals, social scientists, researchers, and policy makers involved in health policy development and health intervention planning.
- proficiency in the English language
- ideally: at least one year of professional experience
Inhalte und Lernziele
- Assessment and measurement of environmental risk factors and health impact: air and water pollution, noise exposure, heat (in relation to climate change), environmental modifications within urban development and local legislations, building plans as a threat or as a positive determinant to health
- Illustration of the impact of unhealthy environments and unhealthy behaviour (eating, physical inactivity) on health
- Analyses of model solutions from healthy city programmes and identification of possible mitigation and solution strategies
- Develop analytical and management skills to meet the challenges of urban health
- Identify and quantify threats to health and risk factors in urban areas
- Develop knowledge and skills in the field of prevention, control, programme development, monitoring and evaluation for improving urban health
- Make proactive evidence-based decisions according to the professional background
- Enhance independent and reflective thinking and profound interest for lifelong learning
Format, Abschluss, Qualitätssicherung
Lehr- / Lernformat
Präsenz / Physical Presence
Certificate of Advanced Studies (CAS)
The CAS on “Environmental Management and Control of Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs) in Urban Areas” is a component of the Master of Science in Global Urban Health at the University of Freiburg. After completing this CAS participants can extend their studies to obtain a Master of Science in Global Urban Health if they take part in the full program.
In case of entering the full Master’s Program, one advanced module / CAS can be completed before participating in the core module.
Termine und Fristen
Including materials, excursion, administration fee. Living costs are not included.
Environmental Health Management Sub-module:
(UN Habitat, Geneva)
K. W. Zacher
Non-Communicable Diseases Sub-module:
U. E. Lamy
(ZHAW School of Management & Law)