Professionals with competencies in the development of land use-based climate change mitigation projects and related climate policy instruments at national and international levels are increasingly needed. Together with UNIQUE Forestry and Land Use and Solidaridad Germany, the Chair of Silviculture at Freiburg University offers the three-week course in Carbon Forestry for professionals to gain insights into project development, assessment and monitoring as well as recent developments in international climate change policy, compliance and voluntary carbon markets. The course is supported by Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture (partial scholarships for participants from developing countries).
- Combines autonomous online and live learning
- Applied expertise in carbon project development and assessment; climate policies, carbon markets and finance
- Instructions by renowned experts such as project developers
- Official participation certificate and exclusive access to Alumni network
Termine / Veranstaltungsort / Kosten
|Kurs läuft bereits. Weitere Termine in Planung.|
Veranstalter und Veranstaltungsort
University of Freiburg, Chair of Silviculture, UNIQUE Forestry and Land Use, Solidaridad Germany
University of Freiburg
Faculty of the Environment and Natural Resources
Zielgruppe und Voraussetzungen
- Forest carbon project developers
- Scientists and students with a research interest in Carbon Forestry
- Employees of governmental institutions and NGOs dealing with land use and climate issues
- M.Sc. degree (or equivalent) in forestry (or related field), exceptionally BSc
- Relevant working experience for at least 3 years
- Excellent (certified) English language skills (C1)
- Certificate of highest university degree (in Forestry, or related)
- Signed & complete application form (for scholarship: send both forms)
- Proof of English level (TOEFL etc.)
Inhalte und Lernziele
The sequestration of carbon by forests and soils is one of the most important ecosystem services of terrestrial ecosystems for effective climate change mitigation. Large efforts have been undertaken and major political initiatives were started to enhance the carbon storage capacity of forests and their products. Professionals with competencies in the development of land use based climate change mitigation projects and related climate policy instruments at national and international levels are increasingly needed. Together with UNIQUE Forestry and Land Use and Solidaridad Germany, the Chair of Silviculture at Freiburg University offers this three-week course in Carbon Forestry. Deemed highly useful for career development by participants, this continuing education course is offered to practitioners and scientists working on forest projects to aquire profound insights into project development, assessment and monitoring as well as recent developments in international climate change policy, compliance and voluntary carbon markets. A one-week intensive course is likely becoming available for advanced professionals (see separate course description in this catalogue). Moreover, participants from developing countries may apply for partial scholarships covering accommodation and per diems (max.10 days).
The (online and live) course runs between 15 Feb and 05 March 2021 in close collaboration with Freiburg Academy of Continuing Education (FRAUW), UNIQUE Forestry and Land Use & other renowned forest carbon experts (Solidaridad etc.). Vis-à-vis the current restrictions (COVID-19), the course is planned as a blended format, which combines autonomous, web-based learning (ca. 1 week) with project work based exchange in small working groups of professional and scientific peers in Freiburg. Throughout the course you will be instructed and guided by expert project developers from renowned carbon project organizations. Field trips and measurements complement the course program. If travel restrictions re-occur, the course may be offered 100% online. Please indicate any existing travel restrictions already with your application! An intense one-week online course option for advanced participants may become available.
Upon successful completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Analyse and evaluate land use project documents
- Design (own) carbon forestry projects (incl. REDD+, Afforestation/Reforestation, Improved Forest Management, Smart Climate Agriculture)
- Determine emission reduction effects /carbon credits generated by the projects, using appropriate quantification and monitoring methods and tools (including quantifying C pools in afforested plantations in the field, assessments of carbon pools and fluxes, social safeguards)
- Critically evaluate climate change policies, including development perspectives of carbon forestry and emission reduction markets, and design financing mechanisms for forestry C projects
Format, Abschluss, Qualitätssicherung
Qualified Participation Certificate “Carbon Forestry”
Full time, 40 hours per week, total of 120 hours
Aussagen zur Qualitätssicherung
Our lecturers are experienced researchers, auditors and project developers in the field of carbon forestry. The course is kindly supported by the Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture.
Termine und Fristen
Der aktuelle Kurs hat bereits begonnen. Neue Termine werden online bekanntgegeben.
Regular fee 750 EUR
Discount for scholarship recipients
The course fee covers all lectures and workshops, study material, access to online learning platform, field trips and lunch during working days in Freiburg, and other logistical support. The fee will be reduced for scholarship recipients (from developing countries). Please note the additional application form for scholarships.
Prof. Jürgen Bauhus, University of Freiburg, Chair of Silviculture
PD Dr. Till Pistorius, UNIQUE Forestry and Land Use, Freiburg
Benjamin Schwarz, UNIQUE Forestry and Land Use, Freiburg
Moriz Vohrer, Solidaridad Germany
Dr. Sabine Reinecke, University of Freiburg, Chair of Silviculture
Other guest lecturers: project developers, certifiers and auditors (tbd)